Friday, February 20, 2009

4 Days and 13 Hours Until....







.....The first Spring Training game. In my last post, I forgot to mention my deeply rooted passion for the St. Louis Cardinals. This is going to be tough being away from my beloved baseball -- this, in a year when St. Louis will get the all-star game. (I hope to God the biggest eyesore in the world -- a.k.a the huge crater near the park -- has been taken care of by then.) However, I can't complain too much -- I've been spoiled. I saw every home World Series game in 2006 (including sitting through the famous rain out), and enjoyed the playoffs in 2004, and 2005 -- as well as the perks that go along with being a baseball worshiping news reporter covering the game. I was there for Opening Day at New Busch, and I went along to interview Wainwright post 06 win. (An event, Chad Fryman and our former weekend anchor, Ryan Tate describe as an Anchorman-esque "I love lamp." episode.)

It's a well known fact, I can just about recite Bull Durham from beginning to end -- Annie Savoy pretty much sums it up for me: "I believe in the church of baseball. I've tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. ....... I've tried them all, I really have. And, the only church that feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the church of baseball."

Bull Durham and The Natural are my favorites -- Although dad and I fight it out over top three best baseball movies among those two, Major League, and of course Field of Dreams. The Sandlot, The Rookie, and 61* are also notable.

Normally, this time of year, I'm pouring over the schedule - coming up with strategies regarding when I can go to games - figuring out how to get tickets to see The Cardinals play against the Cubs - hitting up my friends in Chicago (Love ya Gretch) to try and be in town to see the Cards and Cubs play at Wrigley - And, thinking of new reasons why I hate the Astros. I'm faithful when it comes to my Cardinals - I don't care how much they suck, or do not suck, I love them just the same. Ever since Willie McGee, and Lee Smith, and Ozzie, and others my grandpa loved were still in uniform. If the Cards played on the west coast, grandpa would go to bed with the radio on so he could still listen to the game. Grandma always said he could sleep through a hurricane, but he never failed to wake up if Jack Buck called a homerun.

Instead of obsessing over early baseball headlines, over the past couple of weeks, I've had to focus on other things - like selling my car (please buy it) and dumming my life down to three suitcases so that I can pick up selected pieces of my 'world' and move it to Europe.

So, while I am in England, I ask for your help at home. I need you all to keep me updated - Did Tony smile? How many homeruns does Albert have? How's my boy Ankiel?

This is all very important information. A simple request really. Todd Richards has promised to do his best, and dad, and Aunt Laura I know I can count on you.

That being said -- I have one more request. If you all would subscribe to follow this blog that would be lovely -- in return I will try to be as entertaining as possible.

one more thing -- Thanks to everyone who came out to our last minute little send off party last night -- I had a fantastic time!

2 comments:

  1. What are we going to do without your freakish ability to give us a specific date when a player did something in a game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dissauer, I will find a way! It's a freakish ability -- perhaps I will expand the ability to rugby, cricket, and other fun things.

    ReplyDelete