Sunday, February 22, 2009

ZULU - The Traveling Toy and Proud Member of the Good News Club

When I was a little girl, I remember telling my mom one Christmas that I would never stop putting toys on my Christmas and birthday list. I remember saying I would never want to do things like a grown up because grown ups didn't have any fun. (I also remember in the same conversation telling her I would never move out of her house -- which I admit, at some times she probably thought I wouldn't -- but I think we're both glad I've literally moved beyond that vow.)



Well, I am pleased to report that while the forms have changed and I'm now a grown woman -- I'm still asking for and playing with toys -- but, indeed I was wrong about the fun part. Thanks to new 'toys' adults have lots of fun! And, sometimes, the things we come up with to amuse ourselves with those toys aren't much different than they were when we were juveniles -- in fact, we just get more clever and witty as we go!



Now, as a member of the media, I sometimes feel I work with a bunch of over-grown kids (in a good way of course) and maybe that's why our latest scheme for self entertainment so far has pleasingly proven to bring just as much delight as a bunch of tweens on a scavenger hunt.



Yesterday, Laura Wibbenmeyer, Stephanie Byars, Rochelle Steffen, and our dear friend Sarah Spence took a little shopping trip to Pastime Antiques on Broadway in Cape Girardeau.

Recently, Laura and I watched Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and we were inspired by the concept. That, even though you may be far away from your best friends, there are things that keep you connected -- things that symbolize the bonds between you -- things that say it all when there are no words.



So, since I'm moving to London - and there's no telling where we'll all eventually end up. We decided to go find some 'traveling pants' of our own. In the movie, the girls take turns sending the pants to each other no mater where they may be -- including a letter about what happened during the time the pants were with that sister.



Instead of pants, we decided to go to a local antique store and search for something special.

So, we went to Pastimes, and considered many different options...A plastic Native American baby, several big sequined hats, gaudy jewelry, brightly colored scarves, a piggy bank labeled: beer money, a book titled: An idiots guide to Healthy Relationships -- a wide variety of items made the short list. But, that was before -- before, we spotted Zulu.



Zulu resembles a voodoo doll. She (he, it?) is a black, cloth, figure with ratty straw-like hair. But what makes she (he, it?) so interesting - happens to be the array of pendants, pins, and patches on the front of -- her (him, it?). We selected a pin that said: Good News Club (appropriately) to be the first new addition to the back of Zulu, conveniently left completely blank for us to complete.

No telling what journey brought Zulu to Pastimes. If only, the little doll could tell us of her adventures. Well, little does she know she's in for many more. Right now, Zulu is with Wibbs, on their way to an adventure in Chicago.

Stay tuned for more on Zulu's adventure -- newest companion of the Good News Club. Our constant connection through travels in the Heartland and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment