Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Do You Believe in Signs?



For two months before arriving in London - I woke up every morning and looked upon a unique painting. It is black and white, and shows Big Ben's clock tower on the right side -- On the left, a couple walks in the rain. The only color: a red phone booth. 

A very close friend bought that painting during his own London adventure -- created by a random man working along the Thames one afternoon. 

He knew what London meant to me, and allowed me to have it for inspiration. When my mom and I packed up my room last week -- it was put in a special place and I told my mother that it needed to be in the first care package overseas -- so that I could hang it on my own wall for continued inspiration. 

Well, Saturday morning I arrived safely in London. A nice bonus of relocating - my best friend lives here. When I walked into her flat -- what do I see? The exact same painting -- also done for her by a random man sitting by the Thames one afternoon -- little did I know it was channeling it's power between my dearest friends -- providing forces to get me across the big blue ocean. 

That being said, the streets of London are errily so familiar to me. And the weather, is awfully close to Missouri -- In fact I saw sunshine, clouds, rain, ridiculous wind, and an extreme drop in temperature all in one afternoon this Tuesday. 

Back to the airport, not only did my best friend pick me up -- she was accompanied by a wonderful British driver, Howard. Howard is employed by several neighborhood families. He was just fabulous! He even impressed me with some creative driving when the guy driving the van next to us was quite interested in the women in the back seat of his black European Sedan. I will have pictures up as soon as I can so that you all will get a better idea of why I feel Howard is more like a body guard than a driver! 

I already have several running paths down -- the best is to Chelsea Bridge and back -- which is beautiful at night. 

I have not had the same sort of tea twice. And, it is not unusual for moms to walk to the pub for an afternoon chat with their friends ... along with their babies and the family dog. (Fantastic country.) 

 I've got the whole 'looking left' thing down pretty well -- although, I did try to get into the wrong side of the car. 

Otherwise, television is a bit different -- everyone worships Bono -- though American Idol is still an event. 

Gosh, I could write forever...

Mostly -- I want to say thank you for everyone that signed my hideous purple blazer from hell - -- now it looks like a graffiti-ed easter egg --  thank you P.E..... you know who you are!! 

1 comment:

  1. Holly it sounds like a fairy tale. This is exactly what I was trying to tell you. Your everyday adventures will make a great book. Keep writing..I miss you but I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete