Friday, March 27, 2009

Update from London...

So many things to tell ... and questions to ask...

First of all, girls: Where is (the heck) ZULU? 

Second: Did hell freeze over? I leave the country, and Mizzou starts winning. How long can it last? 

Well, I assume you all are up on the headlines from the U.K. Will we get bombed during the G20 next week? Will you buy the latest documentary on Jade Goody's life? 

I admit -- I had to google Jade Goody to figure out who she was. Duh. She's the former Big Brother contestant who recently passed away from Cervical Cancer. It was pretty sad, the collector magazine editions were on news stands before she actually died. I caught myself watching her 2 hour wedding special one night about a week ago. I followed it up with Paris Hilton's British Best Friend. What have I become? (Actually - Paris's BBF is pretty good - the best part is when Paris says: "Oh, I hate this!" Then she cries....real tears. The magic of television. 

Oh well. 

On the other hand, I'm on the straight and narrow when it comes to building my empire: The first money I made here, was actually due to horse racing. I bet on Kauto Star - the favorite to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Now, I didn't really want to go with the favorite -- however, after consulting my friend and horse racing expert -- Ryan Tate -- I decided that since Denman had some health issues -- Kauto Star was the best one to go with. If only I'd gone with my pick of the top three: Kauto Star, Denman, and Exotic Dancer -- I might have a fortune to rival Paris. Exotic Dancer was a long shot -- and I was made fun of for suggesting that pick. But, the horse danced it's way into the third spot.  Next time I will stick with my instincts. 

Okay so, my new friend Dip, took me to bet on the races -- my first bookie experience. (I had no idea it was so easy!)

 Afterwards, we talked sports and he explained, that just like in the U.S. much of the hoopla has as much to do with the characters involved -- almost more so than which team actually ends up winning. 

I thought I would be a fan of the soccer/football team: Manchester United. Until, Dip described to me that rooting for Manchester United was the equivalent of cheering on the Yankees or the Boston Red Sox -- upon which I decided I'd rather go to hell -- so I don't know who I will cheer for. Chelsea perhaps? 

I don't know. Quite frankly -- it's all very confusing to me still -- but I'm learning. I just buy up all the papers and spread them out and compare articles. 

I recently joined the local Rotary chapter in London. It's quite a bit different than Cape West Rotary that I belonged to at home. It's me, and about twenty of the nicest established British men you'd ever want to meet. Anyway, last week they asked me to explain the rules of baseball. To my delight -- I aced this test. 

They also asked me to explain American Football. To that, I simply said just watch for who clobbers who -- or who dances a jig at one end of the field. Basically, the team with the most dancing, and least amount of players being carried out on stretchers will win. Very simple sport, it is. 

Other than that, my life includes an entire new cast of characters. Look for more stories about them -- the cross-walk lady with the nose ring that must be in her 70's that does little dances for the kids when they cross is one of my favorites. 

The dog walker from Canada is another -- yesterday I saw him in the Common (that's code for the park) with about 12 dogs at once! They all get along! Even the Brits dogs are very civilized. 

Oh! I almost forgot -- last week we went to Jamie Oliver's Recipease store nearby. It's awesome! My friend, Chad Fryman, would LOVE this. You get to go in, select recipes, prepare them at the store, and then you take them home to cook them! We made salmon, pork en croute, desserts, curry...it was amazing and a ton of fun. Apparently, Jamie's been in several times. The store - which is painted pink - is on my way home from the bus -- and so I stick my head almost everyday (sometimes more than once) and do a sweep just to see if Jamie is there! I have yet to see him -- but if I do, I will add him to my celebrity sightings: Clive Owen, and Alan Rickman, to date. (I still think it's odd that I saw my most famous Brit, Paul McCartney in Santa Fe last August, and not in London. )

Oh well -- that's about it for now -- I have to go scratch off my lotto tickets -- 70,000 pounds at stake tonight -- 

Then, I watch my favorite BBC program: Come Dine With Me. I highly recommend googling that show. 

I'll let you know what happens. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you should join the Liverpool F.C.! I like ManU.. but idk it's not the football that I enjoy it's the attitudes of Rooney & Ronaldo.. and don't go for Chelsea.. boooo Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete