Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Greetings from London....

Tonight, I have a few observations I'd like to share. 

First, I have a Solar Theory about what everyone here calls "Gloomy Old London." 

Now, it's often rainy and foggy. Which, I think has a certain charm. But, I've actually only watched it rain twice. And, not once have I actually been caught in the rain. In fact, I've seen the Bloody Sun almost every single day. 

Which, has lead me to come up with this theory: It started last week when I was running. It was a bit chilly, but if I could find a patch of sunlight -- it was very pleasant. So, I decided I'd just run towards the sun. (A bit of an analogy for life, perhaps.) Anyway, I couldn't get the sun to linger for more than a block -- even though there was not a cloud in the sky. 

Okay, to get to my point -- it seems to me the ancient monarchs, and architects of this brilliant city must have designed it in such a way that it only appears to be gloomy 90% of the time. This, I believe, they have managed through carefully constructing the blocks to shield the light -- and cast shadows in an attempt to keep others ( like myself ) from being drawn towards London's real charm. 

Now, observation number two: I call this the "Scooter Phenomenon." I am in an area with LOTS of moms and children. It's not unusual to see a pack of moms and kids about every twenty feet in the mornings. Along with the chorus of "mummy!" -- there's also the sound of squeaky wheels. Every kid (and some adults) has a scooter! And I'm not talking about kids that are nine or ten years old -- some of them, I'm pretty sure aren't even able to walk yet -- but there they go, racing after moms, dads, brothers, and sisters alike on their little scooters!! This is extremely entertaining. 

Observation number three....the secret to happiness??: Many pubs allow dogs ( and babies, for that matter.) It is my thought that if this was the case in the U.S., most people (and pets) would be in a much jollier mood 90% of the time. Make the pub an experience the whole family can enjoy -- and everything seems a little brighter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment