Friday, March 13, 2009

I generally refer to it as the happiest place on earth....

I'm talking about Target. They have it all, really. Where else can you enjoy Starbucks, designer knock-offs at 75% off, and the dollar spot. Generally on Fridays, my mother and Aunt Laura get off work early -- and we meet at Target around noon. I enjoy a coffee, and if my family is feeling generous (despite the fact I am a 29 year old professional) I usually walk away with some little treat....a new shirt, shampoo, tooth paste....it doesn't matter, gifts are always welcome. To some, it's just a trip for discount shopping -- but to my family Target = Quality Time. 

As I chatted with my mother online yesterday, she suggested I think about all the things I miss, or  wish I could implant in the United Kingdom. Because, there will be no Target trip for me today. About the time they are looking at the clearance racks and Easter stuff that's surely already out - I will be out getting a lesson how to bet on the Cheltenham Horse Races. 

To begin, obviously I miss Target. We do not have Target. But, we do have TK Maxx with Cafe Nero right next door -- it comes close, but there's no Momma Joyce and Aunt Laura (and usually Nurse Carmen from their office) so, it can not compare. 

Other Elements -- well, I miss Elements. Elements is my salon. That being said to my stylist of many years, Linda: I miss you greatly. My hair looks like crud. While there are many fabulous salons, a poor journalist can not afford the pricey treatments. However, I still have my beloved Bumble and Bumble products - which they do sell here (Praise God). But this is the issue -- my Chi Iron doesn't work here. It's set up for a U.S. outlet -- and even with an adapter the voltage is too high, the iron would get too hot -- thus, melting my hair, possibly causing and explosion, and inevitably causing a blaze that could burn down the flat and cause my death or deportation from Europe. 

But that's not all -- outlets are not allowed in bathrooms here due to the fear of electric shock. So, picture this -- me trying to blow dry my hair in the kitchen with foreign objects. Thus, ending up looking like I was electrocuted anyway. 

Now, thankfully the standards of 'done' for hair in England are a bit different. The more natural look is 'in'. And, that's good because by the time I walk two miles to where ever I'm going after my attempts at straightening my curly hair -- it looks like a big fuzz ball anyway (that's with or without the London Rain.) 

Further, I miss my gym. I miss Health Point and mostly it's the staff I miss. I miss Body Step with Laura on Thursday at noon. I miss being greeted by Rachel, and April when I walk in. I miss talks on the stepper with Nan and Jess. I miss Psycho Cycle class on Friday mornings with Amy and Lori. I miss Alicia, and Lane, and everybody there that I became very close to. 

That being said, my new gym, Wandsworth Common, the nearby park is nice. There, neighborhood dogs have taken the place of trainers -- I know the dogs names but I'm not sure of some of the people yet. 

While I do not miss my car (which is a lovely 05 Escape and still for sale), I do miss my books on Cd. 

I miss Barnes and Noble and the staff there that had my Hot Cinnamon Tea ready before I got in the door practically. Naturally, there is no shortage of tea in England -- however, there's no Suzanne, and all the other girls who used to make my tea, and my day. 

Ah, and it happens every spring. I realize right now, I am missing March Madness -- and more importantly -- all the talk of early baseball season. I am seriously counting on some good updates from home.  As always, I remain loyal to the St. Louis Cardinals, despite how many games they win or lose. (Or, as in previous seasons -- have blown for them by some closer who is over paid, over hyped, and consistently under delivers.) 

However, I am getting and education in Sports of Europe -- Football (Soccer), Cricket, Rugby, and Horse Racing. 

And of course, there's a certain Heartland Hospitality that does not exist anywhere else - where a handshake can feel more like a warm hug -- instead of like a salute. 

I adore Europe. I am usually right at home no matter where I go -- but there's some things you just can't duplicate. 

So mom and Laura and Carmen, enjoy Target today. Buy me a shirt and an early Easter surprise. I'll be looking for the package to arrive in the mail in a few days! 


1 comment:

  1. Go take a look at Mark and Spencer. I love that store! Also, if you are at the Mark and Spencer on Kennsington High Street they have a good food mart in the basement.

    BTW... If you have internet at home, all of the March Madness games will be offered live on the internet this year (including the Final Four and National Championship games). But, I bet you can find some ex-Pat pubs over there that will have the games on.

    ReplyDelete